Director of Practice Management – Litigation
Ballard Spahr has an exciting opportunity for a Director of Practice Management (DPM) supporting the Litigation Department (Department). Working closely with the Chief Practice Management Officer and Department leadership, the DPM will drive forward Department management goals and related initiatives. This highly visible role carries significant responsibility for daily management of the Department’s business operations with an emphasis on establishing and executing strategic plans, work allocation and staffing, process efficiency, and overall financial success of the Department. The DPM will also collaborate with other DPMs and administrative departments across the firm to improve business processes, align strategic goals, and establish consistent practice management support for our lawyers and legal teams.
As a trusted advisor to the Department leadership, the DPM is a highly collaborative self-starter with demonstrated confidence, business experience, and professionalism in communicating with lawyers and staff at all levels of the firm. This is a hybrid position and offers a work schedule of a minimum three days a week (Tuesday through Thursday) in the firm’s Philadelphia office.
- Assist the Department Chair in the daily management and business operations of the Department and its Practice Groups, including financial health, internal organization, business development, practice expansion/lateral recruitment, fee earner supervision, and training.
- Review financial reports; monitor firm financial dashboards; manage the Department’s non-billable expenses; identify opportunities for improving financial performance and profitability; review details and define methods for improvement with matter billing lawyers; serve as a contributing member of the second and fourth quarter collection committees.
- Collaborate and meet regularly with the Marketing and Business Development team and provide support for the development, management, and implementation of the Practice Groups’ business plans and the Department’s business goals.
- Meet monthly, along with the Department Chair, with the Department’s Practice Group Leaders to discuss and collaborate on the management of the Department with a particular focus on developing new business, increasing revenue, supporting the Practice Group’s lawyers, diversity in staffing matters, and improving profitability, while also ensuring delivery of quality legal services reliant on cross-office, cross-department collaboration.
- Work closely with the Pricing team to establish the Department’s overall pricing strategy including alternative fee proposals, matter budgets, and continuous evaluation of the firm’s competitive rate structure.
- Develop strategies with the Client Value and Innovation team for use of innovation and technology tools to improve client and matter management and profitability and to strengthen existing and develop new client relationships.
- Identify lateral hiring strategy to improve the Department’s market position and work closely with Department leadership and recruiting teams to identify and realize strategy.
- Collaborate with the Attorney Career Advancement and other departments in setting an appropriate training curriculum for associates, counsel, and other lawyers across all levels of experience.
- Support and facilitate firm diversity efforts aimed at attracting and retaining a diverse team of talented lawyers and paralegals through implementation of the firm’s Diversity + Inclusion plan.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate independent judgment, strong attention to detail, client service, business acumen, facility with financial data, and discretion with handling confidential information. Strong leadership, project management, interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills are required, as well as the ability to influence people at all levels to be responsive and collaborate without overt use of authority.
Requirements include a Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of relevant experience including at least five years of managerial experience and strong knowledge of the legal industry and law firm management. Post-graduate degree with a legal or business focus a plus. Ability to travel for firm-wide office visitations, firm or client-sponsored events, or attendance at professional programs, as needed. Ability and willingness to work more than 40 hours per week if needed to perform essential job functions.
Ballard Spahr offers an excellent benefits package which includes medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage; life insurance, short and long-term disability; 401(k) retirement savings plan with a firm contribution and match; and a generous paid time off program. Additional benefits provided are health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, and a health savings account; firm subsidized emergency child and elder care services; family and medical leave; employee assistance program; and a pre-tax transportation program.
Ballard Spahr is committed to increasing diversity in the legal profession and to supporting the communities where we live and work. People from all backgrounds are valued and integrated into every part of the firm. Diverse candidates including women, people of color and members of the LGBTQAI+ community, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The firm is not accepting resumes from search firms for this position.
Ballard Spahr offers excellent compensation, a comprehensive benefits package, and a generous paid time off program. For immediate consideration, please visit https://jobs.silkroad.com/BallardSpahr/Careers and apply online.
Ballard Spahr is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a culturally diverse environment. The firm encourages applications from a diverse pool of candidates, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, national origin, handicap or disability, citizenship, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, transgender status, sex stereotyping, genetic information, ancestry, veteran status or any other category protected by applicable law.
Fields of study
- Business administration / Management
Required degree level
- Bachelor Degree